Benefits of Equine Water Treadmill Exercise
- Topline Development: Water creates resistance and horses extend their head and neck as they walk through it, using the muscles over their topline.
- Core Strength: Exercise on a water treadmill has been shown to increase core strength in horses
- Symmetrical Muscle Development: Horses move more symmetrically when walking on a water treadmill. Symmetrical muscle development is important for preventing musculoskeletal injuries.
- Cardiovascular: The water level and incline can be adjusted to increase difficulty, so the horse develops cardiovascular fitness without concussion to their legs.
- Range of Motion: Horses move through a greater range of motion when walking through water, which is important for developing fitness and flexibility.
- Buoyancy: The horse’s weight is reduced by 10% when the water is at the level of the elbow.