Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
5M Equine Performance Center was established in the fall of 2019. We had one clear vision in mind, and that was to provide state-of-the art care for athletic horses whether rehabilitating from injury or recovering between competitions. All horses in our program receive the same care as if they were in a top-level show barn with careful attention to their physical and mental well-being.
Dr.Jennifer Clarke, our resident veterinarian and co-founder, creates an individualized exercise program for each horse based on their specific needs and the owner’s goals. She also provides on-site veterinary services and is available for consultation.
We really believe that horses benefit from being outside, and we have a variety of turnout options available.
We have small and large turnouts, both dry (sand footing) and grass pasture. For horses that are not ready to be turned out yet, we can hand-graze in the grass pastures.
Benefits of Equine Water Treadmill Exercise
- Topline Development: Water creates resistance and horses extend their head and neck as they walk through it, using the muscles over their topline.
- Core Strength: Exercise on a water treadmill has been shown to increase core strength in horses
- Symmetrical Muscle Development: Horses move more symmetrically when walking on a water treadmill. Symmetrical muscle development is important for preventing musculoskeletal injuries.
- Cardiovascular: The water level and incline can be adjusted to increase difficulty, so the horse develops cardiovascular fitness without concussion to their legs.
- Range of Motion: Horses move through a greater range of motion when walking through water, which is important for developing fitness and flexibility.
- Buoyancy: The horse’s weight is reduced by 10% when the water is at the level of the elbow.
The spa uses saltwater (epsom salts and water) chilled to approximately 38 degrees Fahrenheit to cool the horse’s legs, and air jets provide gentle pressure and massage. It is great for reducing swelling and inflammation which is crucial in acute injuries and after strenuous work. The saltwater has an osmositic effect on wounds, helping them dry out and heal faster.
The Saltwater Spa is an important adjunctive therapy offered at 5M Equine Performance Center. The circulating saltwater cools the legs significantly better than traditional methods, while air jets provide a gentle massage. The natural drawing property of saltwater is invaluable in treating issues like tendon injuries and leg wounds
Benefits of Cold Saltwater Spa Therapy
- Temperature: Saltwater, chilled at around 38 degrees, will remove heat and inflammation, while providing analgesic pain reduction.
- Salt Concentration: Saltwater is naturally antimicrobial and acts as an osmotic (drawing) agent. Both of these properties make it excellent for the treatment of wounds. The salt solution in our equine cold saltwater spa acts as a poultice with heat reduction and natural healing.
- Massaging and Gentle Compression: The jets create turbulence in the water, which combined with the hydrostatic pressure of the water provides gentle pressure and massage to the lower limbs.
- Depth: Water depth is adjustable depending on the position and severity of the injury.
Dr. Jennifer Clarke is the resident veterinarian at 5M Ranch.
She has been practicing in Orange County since 2008 treating sport horses at all levels.
Services offered by Dr. Clarke include:
Clinical Services: Pre-Purchase Exams, Soundness Exams, Sporthorse Wellness Exams Digital Radiology and Ultrasound.
Treatments: Class 4 laser, Shockwave, PRP, Joint Injections and Pro-Stride
Rehab Services: Injury Rehabilitation, Post-Surgical Rehabilitation, Conditioning Programs, Nutrition Programs
Contact Dr. Jennifer Clark DVM
Phone: (949) 204-0442